Surplus Dwelling subdivision (Rural)

A surplus dwelling subdivision is when you can create a new lot around your existing surplus dwelling in the Rural Zone that you no longer require on your farm holding. 

What are the rules for subdivision?

The Waipa District Plan has some specific rules around surplus dwelling subdivision, which are listed as follows: -

The lot must have a minimum area of at least 2,500m2 and a maximum area of 5,000m2, and must comply with all the rules for the Rural Zone for access and servicing.

All existing dwellings shall have been located on the holding for a period of not less than 10 years at the date of the application and shall have a life expectancy of at least 25 years.

The dwellings shall have a floor area greater than 70m2 exclusive of decking and garaging, and shall not be a secondary dwelling.

What evidence will Council require?

When Cogswell are preparing the application, we will need to determine how long the dwellings on your farm holding have existed on the property, how long they are expected to last for, and the floor area of the dwellings.  Cogswell obtain the Council files which usually has the information we need.  Council may also request a builder’s report is completed to confirm that the dwellings are constructed on materials that will last at least 25 years. 


This product has been added to your cart